COMMITTEE ON THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD: New members elected
On 18 December, States met in New York to elect nine members to serve on the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child. The successful candidates will replace those whose term will expire on 28 February 2013. The nine candidates elected to the CRC are from: Austria, Bahrain, Brazil, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Italy, Malaysia, Russia, and Slovakia.
Elected / re-elected candidates
You can view the CV of the new member and, where applicable, CRIN's interview with the candidate in the lead up to the election:
- Ms. Renate Winter (Austria) - 153 votes: CV / Interview
- Mr. Benyam Dawit Mezmur (Ethiopia) - 136 votes: CV / Interview
- Ms Sara de Jesús Oviedo Fierro (Ecuador) - 125 votes: CV / Interview [en español]
- Mr. Peter Guran (Slovakia) - 104 votes: CV / Interview
- Ms. Amal Aldoseri (Bahrain) - 100 votes: CV Mr. Wanderlino Nogueira Neto - 161 votes: CV
- Ms. Maria Rita Parsi (Italy) - 146 votes: CV
The election process
The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child is the most powerful children's rights body in the world. It not only has the authority to influence governments' compliance with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), but also to interpret and expand on the provisions set in the CRC. In the future, it will even be able to examine individual complaints relating to violations of children's rights.
Elections to the Committee on the Rights of the Child take place every two years. Committee members are elected for a term of four years.
- Read about the process on the Committee's webpage
- Read about CRIN's Transparency Campaign: The future of children's rights - In whose hands?
Previous CRC News items on Crin website
- 27/09/2012: COMPLAINTS MECHANISM: Thailand and Gabon Ratify New OP CRC
- 23/08/2012: CRC Committee Session moved to Palais des Nations
- 26/07/2012: ACTUALIZACIÓN DE CAMPAÑA: Elecciones del Comité de los Derechos del Niño 2012
- 09/07/2012: Call for Submissions: CRC General Comment on Child Rights and the Business Sector
- 01/06/2012: PRESS RELEASE: CRC Committee Speaks Out on Syria
For more information please visit CRIN website: www.crin.org
Child Rights International Network
2 Pontypool Place
Tel: +44 (0)207 401 2257