World Congress for the Rights of Children and Adolescents
The “V World Congress for the Rights of Children and Adolescents, San Juan, Argentina 2012” shall focus on Childhood and Adolescence and the social changes processes involved: childhood as a possibility of change and emancipation and at the same time, the way in which childhood and adolescence are affected by these ongoing social changes.
Time and place: Oct 15, 2012 - Oct 19, 2012, San Juan de Puerto Rico, Argentina
Deadline ABSTRACTS: 30 April 2012
The organizers of the V WORLD CONGRESS FOR RIGHTS OF CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS, promote a debate on the following strategic courses of action along with and for children.
- Childhood and Adolescence are a social category and thus, they play a key role in fighting for emancipating movements. Child and adolescent rights are one aspect of that fight. Childhood and Adolescence policies are the main area to ensure a more just society since affirming them as a priority means, as a high principle, affirming another start, another construction model and social transformation.
- Democracy is the development area for Childhood and Adolescence. This means that democracy starts when children, as subjects with rights, get involved in their development process inside their families and the community, with a right to participate, to get organized, and to defend their rights against all social actors. Democracy expands through Child citizenship. This means that a democratic system should guarantee that all discretionary, discriminatory and authoritarian forms against children and adolescents are removed. It is relevant to continue with those law reform processes that respect their human rights at an international level.
- Economy should prioritize Childhood and Adolescence as an innovating principle driving growth and as the most significant opportunity for sustained development in the medium term.
- For subjectivity purposes, Childhood and Adolescence should develop their autonomy as a constituent principle. In this sense, the mass media and the international entertaining industry must be regulated according to an international consensus to ensure full Childhood and Adolescence citizenship rather than only the reproduction of their condition as consumers with models and values that make them being subjected and controlled and that put their full citizenship at stake.
- Education plays a key role. It is not only about educating Children for their integration into the market. Childhood and Adolescence should be part of an educational process as relevant actors for social and political citizenship, which will ensure that they are fully integrated as a transformation subject. The educational system should continue with its strong transformation process, removing the old authoritarian and despotic idea of educational process, with children playing a key role.