Child Research Methodology and Ethics
General Research Resources
Gapminder is a non-profit venture promoting sustainable global development and achievement of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals by increased use and understanding of statistics and other information about social, economic and environmental development at local, national and global levels. Gapminder World lets you explore the changing world from your own computer. Moving graphics show how the development of all countries of the world by the indicators you choose.
Research with Children and Youth
- Children's Research Centre, Open University, London England
- Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth (ARACY)
- Researching Children - Austria based organization working to promote qualitiy in child led research
- So You Want to Involve Children in Research? A toolkit supporting children’s meaningful and ethical participation in research relating to violence against children. Save the Children Alliance.
Department of Children and Youth Affairs Ireland: National Guidance for Developing Ethical Research Projects Involving Children
Powell, M.A., Graham, A., Taylor, N., Newell, S., & Fitzgerald, R.: Building Capacity for Ethical Research with Children and Young People: An International Research Project to Examine the Ethical Issues and Challenges in Undertaking Research with and for Children in Different Majority and Minority World Contexts.(Research Report for the Childwatch International Research Network). Dunedin: University of Otago Centre for Research on Children and Families / Lismore: Centre for Children and Young People.
Powell, M.A. (2011, June). International Literature Review: Ethical Issues in Undertaking Research with Children and Young People (Literature review for the Childwatch International Research Network). Lismore: Southern Cross University, Centre for Children and Young People / Dunedin: University of Otago, Centre for Research on Children and Families
Greene, S. and Diane Hogan: Researching Children's Experience: Approaches and Methods
Katie Schenk and Jan Williamson: Ethical Approaches to Gathering Information from Children and Adolescents in International Settings: Guidelines and Resources
Jason Hart and Bex Tyrer: Research with Children Living in Situations of Armed Conflict: Concepts, Ethics & Methods
Priscilla Alderson and Virginia Morrow: The Ethics of Research with Children and Young People. A Practical Handbook
Virginia Morrow: The Ethics of Social Research with Children and Families in Young Lives: Practical Experiences. Young Lives, Working paper 53.
Research Institutions and Networks:
- Caribbean Child Development Centre Consortium for Social Development and Research University of the West Indies Jamaica
- Centre for Children & Young People, Southern Cross University Australia
- Centre for Family Research, University of Cambridge, England
- CIESPI, The International Center for Research and Policy on Childhood Brazil
- CINDE, The International Center for Education and Human Development Colombia
- Child and Youth Research and Training Programme, University of Western Cape South Africa
- Children's Issues Centre, University of Otago New Zealand
- Children's Research Centre, Trinity College Ireland
- Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (Codesria) Senegal
- Institute on Family and Neighborhood Life, Clemson University USA
- NOVA - Norwegian Social Research Norway
- Social Justice and Social Change Research Centre (SJSC) University of Western Sydney Australia
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Bombay India
- The Catalan Interdisciplinary Research Network on Children's Rights and Children's Quality of Life (X.C.I.I.I.) Spain
- Unicef - Innocenti Research Centre Italy