USA: Institute on Family and Neighborhood Life, Clemson University
The Institute on Family and Neighborhood Life focuses on the ties between families and communities, at neighborhood to global level. We are particularly interested in the everyday experiences of children, youth, and adults in neighborhood institutions, such as schools, workplaces, religious organizations, civic groups, and courts. We seek to provide the knowledge necessary to enable these institutions to ensure respect for individual dignity, enhance "natural" social assistance, build a sense of community, promote civic participation, and foster family and neighborhood responsibility.
The Institute on Family and Neighborhood Life
Examples of research projects:
1. Strong communities for children: Community-wide primary prevention of child maltreatment.
2. Building dreams: Innovation in support for families of prisoners
3. Indicators of child participation
4. Children's participation in religious life
5. Doctoral education in international family and community life, with development of related centers in the Czech Republic, the Dominican republic, and the southern Balkans
Institute on Family and Neighborhood Life, Clemson University
158 Poole Agricultural Center
Clemson, South Carolina 29634-0132
Director: Gary Melton
E-mail: gmelton [at] clemson.edu
Tel: +1 864 656 6271
Fax: +1 864 656 6281